Sunday, November 2, 2008

And One More For Good Measure.....

I was walking around Target earlier today, in search of a birthday present for my 2 year old niece (my sister had her birthday party today). I stopped short when I reached the "accessories" section where they have jewelry, belts, hand bags and the like and gawked at the scarves for a bit.

I'm not one who could ever bring myself to purchase knit items in a store. Now that I know how to knit and crochet, I find it much more satisfying to run out to the craft store or LYS and pick up some yarn (provided I don't have anything that I'm looking for in my stash) to whip up a project as I deem necessary.

A lot of the stuff that I've been seeing has had a very homemade look to it, too. Which kind of frustrates me. 90% of the scarves and hats I had growing up I remember as being made by my grandmother. I also remember some hideous sweater vest with a goose on it....but I digress. Why are they trying to sell stuff that merely looks hand or home made?

Is it just me or is it far less enjoyable to wrap a scarf around your neck that you just purchased at a store? Isn't it far greater to wrap a scarf around your neck that you just spent weeks knitting until it was just right, blocking to the perfect shape so the edges don't curl and then getting to wrap it around your neck to stave off the cold winds? Sure, it's not as instant as plunking down ten or so dollars on a fancy store bought scarf, but sometimes the better things are totally worth the wait and effort.

No comments: