Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mukluk Redux

I started working on making my crochet (yep it won) mukluk slippers this weekend. I was uncertain for quite some time about just what pattern I wanted to use, what stitch I'd want to use and what craft as well. I was waffling between knitting a simple fair isle pattern or crocheting in two colors. But it all got decided when I found a pattern on Crafster for Crochet Mary Jane Slippers and liked the simplicity of the pattern, the shape of the foot on the pattern and the fact that it would work up very quickly. It uses two strands of worsted weight yarn (I decided to hold a black and a pale blue strand together which is kind of like cheating to get two colors, but I like it very much) and the pattern calls for a size L hook.

Unfortunately, even with all 82 crochet hooks, I don't seem to have a size L. I checked my Ravelry hook chart, and even though it told me that I did NOT have one, I still dug through all my hooks anyways. So I settled for using a size K hook.

I also altered the pattern a LOT from the original pattern while creating my slipper. Part of the alteration was due to me not paying attention (that happens more than you could imagine) and the other part was due to not wanting a pair of mary jane style slippers but wanting mukluk slippers.

I'm working the first slipper and thusly still working out the pattern for the leg of the slipper, but once I have that all worked out I will be putting up a pattern. The pattern WILL be for a foot size 10 in womens, but it is incredibly easy to alter the pattern to suit if you try the slipper on while making it (which is what I did). I'll give resizing the pattern a go, but will need people to test the pattern, I'm guessing. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out even if I've never resized a pattern before. But I'm looking forward to finishing them and as soon as I do, I'll throw my pattern up on here and Ravelry.

No comments: