Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mukluk Slippers Pattern *Pictures Coming Soon*

I finally finished my Mukluk slippers. It ended up turning into such a labor of love for me. But I still think that it didn't take me horrendously long considering I started them this weekend. And, as promised, I took highly detailed notes in order to supply a pattern.

REMINDER: This pattern is sized for women's size 10 feet. An easy way to alter the pattern to fit is to consistently try it on as you are crocheting the front of the slipper.

Items Needed:
+2 skeins of Simply Soft yarn (I used black and pale blue, for high contrast since the pair I envy is off white and black)
+Size K or L crochet hook
+Pom-pom maker
+Slipper bottoms
+Scissors
+Needle and thread OR heavy duty fabric glue

Holding two strands of yarn together, chain 2
Make 6 hdc in 1st ch.
join, chain 2 and make 2 hdc in each chain around (12 sts)
Chain 2, 1 hdc in each stitch around
Chain 2, 2 hdc in each stitch around (24 sts)
Chain 2, 1 hdc in each stitch around for 12 rounds (or until front of slipper is long enough for you. You will want to start the heel when the working round reaches the top of your foot where your ankle joins it)
Make 1 hdc in the next 19 sts (you want about 4 or 5 stitches unworked), chain 2, turn
Skip the first stitch, hdc in next and each st and continue working only these 19 stitches in this manner (missing first stitch on each row) for 8 rows. Or until it fits snugly behind your heel
With right sides together, use a slip stitch to seam the back of the heel shut (to avoid attaching new yarn, I slip stitched down one side of the seam and then back up the other side.)
Make 25 hdc sts around opening, join, chain 2.
Work 6 rounds and on next round, 2hdc in first stitch, 1 hdc in each of next 23 stitches. 2 hdc in last stitch of round. (27 sts)
Next round: 1 hdc in each stitch
next round: 2 hdc in first stitch, 1 hdc in each of next 25 stitches, 2 hdc in last stitch. (29 sts)
Switch directions *optional* and Continue working for 7 more rounds.
On following round, 2hdc in first stitch, 1 hdc in each of next 13 sts, 2hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 13 and 2hdc in last stitch. (32sts)
switch directions again and work 4 more rounds
On next round, *1hdc in 2 sts, chain 2 and skip next stitch* repeat to end
On next round, work 1hdc in each stitch and 1hdc in the chain space.
Work one more row, hdc in each stitch
Fasten off and make 2nd slipper.
Weave in all loose ends of yarn.

After both slippers have been made, make an iCord for each slipper using the method found here or any method you prefer. For my iCords, I used one double strand of blue and one double strand of black to make each cord. My cords were roughly 15 to 18 inches long (I didn't measure them). Make sure you leave a long tail at each end of the cords

After the cord has been made, create 4 pom-poms to attach to each end of the iCords (one pom-pom per cord end). In keeping with the blue and black combo, I made my pom-poms multicolored. I made them in three layers and two of them are blue with two black stripes and two of them are black with two blue stripes (basically: first layer blue, 2nd layer black, last layer blue for the blue ones and first layer black, 2nd layer blue and last layer black for the black ones). You can make your pom-poms however you like to match the slippers.

After everything has been made, take the slipper bottoms (Mine came from a pair of mukluk-esque slipper socks) and attach them to the bottom of the slippers. I used Aleene's Platinum Bond fabric glue because I didn't have any large enough hand sewing needles. You can also stitch the bottoms on. I do have plans to do at least a decorative blue stitch in yarn where the slipper and bottom meet, but I haven't yet.

After the slipper has been attached to the bottom, thread the iCord through the openings in the top of the boot, leaving the loose ends hanging out on one side of each slipper. This is a bit harder for me to describe than I thought. If it's confusing, the pictures will help once I get them taken.

Attach the pom-poms to the ends of the iCord, and then tie the cord into a bow.

And that's basically all there is to it.

Again, Pictures coming soon!

No comments: